This year is my first official Mother’s day – yay! Even though we’re in quarantine, you best believe I will be celebrating this accomplishment 🙂 I was raised by a strong, independent mama, and naturally I love thinking of Mother’s Day gift ideas and ways to celebrate. Now that I am also a mom, I truly am beginning to see all the sacrifices that mothers make for their children and family. It’s a blessing to have the title, and that is a gift in itself. (If you know a new mama, check out my post on 10 Gift Ideas for New Moms.)
The type of Mother’s Day gift you may be giving can depend on many factors. For the sake of this post, I’m going to assume you have a fairly decently relationship with your mother, and you’re planning to spend at least $20 or more on her gift. In my opinion, there are some gifts that are best to stay away from on Mother’s Day unless your mom or wife have specifically requested these gifts:
- Cleaning products
- Cooking items
- Exercise equipment
- Things for their kids
If you’d rather stick with something a little more traditional for a Mother’s Day gift, you usually can’t go wrong with flowers and a card with a thoughtful message.
Looking for fun, unique cards? If you’re a Minnesota local, check out Cold Press Creative.
There are so many options for a great homemade Mother’s Day gift! If you have a skill or craft that your mom or wife appreciates, consider making a custom made item. Some ideas:
- Wood work
- Writing/recording a song
If you have little kids, think of ways they can contribute to the gift. Can they make the card? Sign their own name to a craft or your custom work? Maybe they can make their own add on to the gift like a separate craft. If it’s a gift for their grandma, the gift could be a personalized item with their name on it (or all the grandchildren names).
If you’re still searching for ideas, CNN posted an article on “20 crafty DIY gifts for Mother’s Day“.
If you’d rather give the gift of memories, think of activities you can enjoy together.
- Is their favorite band making a tour stop near you?
- Do you enjoy seeing the latest movie releases?
- Looking to make more family vacation memories? Plan a day trip, road trip, or fly to a destination together.
Along the lines of quality time together, you could treat mom or your wife to a spa day or go together! I personally love a great massage and a fresh pedicure. Does the mom in your life enjoy pampering themselves? If so, a few of these other ideas may be the gift for them!
- Hair appointment or styling
- Into trying different types of massage/therapy? hot stones, cupping, cryotherapy, sensory deprivation tank, etc.
Would the mom in your life proudly wear a clothing item with “mama” or “nana”? Browse the Mother’s Day gift ideas below for some inspiration!
These are some of my favorite Mother’s Day gifts to give! I like to think of items catered specifically to the person I’m gifting them to. Etsy is a great spot for custom made items.
- Custom Family Illustration – how fun! Support a local artist <3
- Items with family names
Where are all the fun mama’s at? I love a good inside joke, and when I can find a gift that I know will make someone else laugh, I gravitate to that.
The Freddie Mercury mug below made me think of my mom, because we enjoy referencing this part of Bohemian Rhapsody. Also, as a middle child, I think my mom needs the other mug too. 😉
Put together a Mother’s Day gift basket/box with themed gifts.
- Coffee lover: espresso maker, frother, favorite coffee beans, tumber/mug
- Book worm: kindle, amazon gift card for e-books, subscription to Audible, bluetooth headphone to listen to audio books, book lovers’ scented candle
- Active mama: stand up paddle board, gift card to favorite active wear store, Hydro Flask water bottle, Fabletics subscription
- Cozy day: favorite scented candle, cozy throw blanket, robe, bath bombs, sleepwear
- Crafty, DIY guru: art materials/supplies (yarn, cricut vinyl sheets, embroidery thread, etc.)
- Earthy, nature lover: Garden kit/seeds, ENO Hammock, hiking poles, essential oils
- Fancy: gift card for her favorite restaurant/clothing store/shoe store, perfume, jewelry
If you’re not sure you have the time to put together a gift basket/box, here a few premade ones!
Comment below with your favorite gifts you have given or received for Mother’s Day!